How to get the latest firmware (internal software) for your Slingbox
Does your Slingbox have the latest firmware, the internal software that makes it work? Here's how to make sure that your Slingbox is up to date.
Slingbox firmware, sometimes called Slingbox Software, is the internal software that makes your Slingbox work.
How do I tell if my Slingbox has the latest firmware?
It's easy! Here's how:
- Go to Watch on Slingbox.com.
- Connect to your Slingbox, if this doesn't happen automatically.
- Click Settings, just above the viewing screen.
- You'll see the name of your Slingbox, in yellow type, on the right side of the screen.
- Click Slingbox Info.
- Note the firmware version of your Slingbox.
- Compare it with the table of latest Slingbox firmware versions, below.
On a Slingbox M1/M2:
- Load Slingplayer for Desktop, and select your Slingbox M1/M2 from the Directory.
- Click the Standard View icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- In the window that appears on the right side of the screen, click Settings at the top.
- Then select Slingbox Info to view the firmware version of your Slingbox.
What if I have an older (legacy) Slingbox?
Note: Older, legacy Slingboxes are not longer being actively developed or updated.
Updating Slingbox firmware: Slingbox M1/M2
The Slingbox M1/M2 automatically updates every 24-48 hours.
Updating Slingbox firmware: 350 and 500 models
Firmware updates for these models also happen automatically every 24-48 hours. There is no action that you need to take.
- You can always check your firmware version using Watch on Slingbox.com.
- Connect to your Slingbox 350 or Slingbox 500 and click Settings at the top of the window.
- After the Settings window opens, click on SLINGBOX INFO in the lower right. You'll see your firmware version listed there.
- If you have a Slingbox 500 model, you can check/update its firmware manually.
- To do this, using the Slingbox 500 remote control, press the topmost (Slingbox logo) button to display Slingbox 500 onscreen menu on your TV.
- Select About, and then Check Updates.
Updating Slingbox firmware: PRO-HD and SOLO models
Firmware updates for these models happen automatically, but you have the option to manually check for updates by following the steps below. It's best to update the firmware when you're at home, just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your Slingbox.
- Visit Setup on Slingbox.com from your computer.
- Click Get Started.
- Log in to your Sling Account, if you're not already logged in.
- When you see your Slingbox, click to connect to it.
- If your Slingbox firmware is out of date, you will see a button on the upper-right side of the window that says Check for Updates. Click the button.
- Follow the on-screen directions, then wait while the Slingbox is updated.
When the update process completes, you can go back to watching your TV anywhere!
What if my Slingbox doesn't update?
If your Slingbox doesn't seem to update to the latest firmware version, try restarting your Slingbox.
Each time you restart your Slingbox, it checks whether it needs to update the firmware. The update may be delayed slightly, but happens within the hour. If it doesn't happen, you'll need to reset your Slingbox. For help resetting your Slingbox, please see the instructions below.